Bottoms

Bottoms

Friday, August 14, 2009

ATV Adventure in Colorado

IMG_0091 We left for Colorado on the 31st of July meeting our Friends Henry and Janey in STL.  The first day we drove to the last RA in Kansas and spent the night before heading to Kerr Gulch.  This is where I will not soon forget!  I had not driven the ATV in the Mountains and was not familiar with this type of terrain (steep).  Janey, Arlin, and then me  started to climb I was not sure what gear to put it in and ask Henry, he said “I don’t know”  needless to say I started in too high gear, starting to lose power and then slide backwards down the trail… meanwhile my cell started to ring.  Forget that I couldn’t control the ATV let alone answer my cell.  Arlin and Henry were a little excited with my escapade and started to come rescue me.  I did manage to come to a stop without completely overturning the ATV. WHOOSH!!!! I was beginning to think I’m too old for this kind of adventure!  Meanwhile, back on track,  they help me to the top of a gorgeous mountain with a spectacular view.  I had a voice mail on my cell so I retrieved it and Darryl was saying call me mom, I need to talk to you..nothing wrong just want to talk to you.    Yeah, right?  Tried several times to call him and “no answer”.  So down the mountain we were going when my cell rang again.  I tried to get my helmet off quickly and couldn’t..so handed the phone to Arlin.  He chatted with Darryl and then handed the phone to me.  I started to say what’s wrong, and again he says nothing.  So we exchanged a few words and then he said how would you like to be grandma again?  OMG, I kept saying, how great!  Darryl apologizes for not telling us in person and I said I would never forget this moment or place.  So this was the first few days of our journey.IMG_0112Pieplant area

On our third day we left Kerr Gulch to set up camp near Pieplant by Taylor Park Reservoir where we stayed 5 days.  We made a trip to American Mtn. which was most awesome, but quite rough.  Rode several trails on that side of the reservoir before moving about 10 miles to Tincup.  Again we rode trails to Tincup Pass, Cumberland Pass, Hancock Pass, and to St. Elmo.  I put on approximately 280 miles and not sure about him He rode more than I.  My body told me when to stop and I listened.  (Besides I had internet on my blackberry and cell service so I found other things to do beside ride!)

We worshiped at the Tincup Community Church while there. 

Colorado Hogans 09 (8)American Mtn

 ALH Colorado 09 021 ArlinALH Colorado 09 007Beautiful! ALH Colorado 09 088 Tincup Church colorado Hogan 09 (2) MoonlightColorado Hogans 09 (19) Made it!colorado Hogan 09 (34) Working

me in water Me in Water!  FUN!

We returned home on the 12th with lots of memories to carry us thru till the next trip.

No comments: